In an effort to break me from the PB&J habit, I started experimenting with eggs back in the fall. This one is among my favorites, and a perfect brunch sandwich:
Soft-Boiled Egg & Cheese Sandwich
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp goat cheese, plain or herbed (preferably one that’s easy to spread, like Charvie)
- 2 slices whole grain/whole wheat bread
- Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Dark, leafy greens of your choice (optional–I only thought of this after I ate the whole thing and realized that it would be nutritionally complete from all major food groups this way)
- Bring an egg to a rolling boil, then let it boil for about 3 minutes, or longer if the idea of runny yolks really gross you out. At the end of three minutes, sit the egg in cool water.
- While this is going on, prepare the bread. Thinly spread one side of each slice with the goat cheese, and then add Italian seasoning blend or Herbs de Provence, if desired
- Peel eggshell off, then position on one slice of bread and gently slice the egg to a rough dice, arranging it on the slice.
- Freshly grate the Parmesan over the egg–just a little will do the trick, then season it all to taste with salt and black pepper, freshly ground if possible. Add dark leafy greens of choce (mine would be baby arugula).
- Slap the other slice on top, flip over, and enjoy!